Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Session 10 - £250 game at the Gutshot

I unexpectedly went to the GutShot on Saturday night after our original plans for the weekend got cancelled at the last minute. Not sure Kirsten was too chuffed but she took my "I'm off to play poker at 6pm and will be back tomorrow morning at 9am" with remarkable good grace!

There was a £100 tournament running which, despite getting up to 6000 chips at the break I didn't do too well in. However, the main reason for going was to play some live cash in preparation for my upcoming trip to Vegas. As luck would have it they were running a bigger game than usual. Normally the biggest game is a £1/£2 pot limit hold 'em game with a £50 minimum buy-in, but on Saturday nights they are trying to get a regular £2/£5 no limit game going with a minimum £250 sit down. The game eventually got started at around 11.30 and the average buy-in seemed to be around £500. What with the offer of free ice cream and drinks I bought in for £350 and took my seat.

Predicably enough it was quite tight early on, and my first big pot came more from table reading than cards. I was in the cut-off and UTG had posted a £10 straddle. There were 3 callers and I was getting a raise ready when the guy on the button put in a £50 raise out of turn. This is where knowing the rules pays off, since by just calling the £10 the raise would stand, and I could then re-raise later. I don't think all the people at the table had noticed what had happened since there were 3 callers to the £50 raise. Needless to say when it got to me my 9T looked worthy of a large re-raise so I popped it up to £200 and everyone folded! A nice start.

The table played through to around 6.30am before breaking, and despite there still being two £50 games running downstairs I called it an evening. A couple of hands during the session spring to mind (as did the card drought that lasted from 1am to around 3am - discipline!).

Hand 1: I had 42 in the big blind. UTG called and the SB completed. The flop came A24 giving me bottom two pair. Check, check, UTG bet £20. SB called so I raised to £75. UTG folds and SB re-raises me to £250. Ouch - what could he have? Surely a big ace would't re-raise here but he could have 35 or something like A2. There were too many ways I could be in all sorts of trouble so I let it go, and he showed pocket fours for a flopped middle-set.

Hand 2: AK in late position, Disco Dave (Mr. Rock) raised to 20 from early position so I flat called. Flop 972 and Dave bets £50, so I fold face up commenting "shame I didn't hit", to which Dave replies "wish you had" and flips over AA. A quick bit of rabbit hunting shows the turn would be a King! "You'd have had all my money". Further rabbit hunting shows the river would have been another King..."No, I'd have had all yours".

It's true what they say that a few good folds are just as valuable as winning a few pots.

Ended up cashing out for £750 and a nice £400 profit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home