Sunday, May 28, 2006

Session 3 - Sunday Night (or how to do $1k in one night)

Sunday nights are the large tournament nights for me. A quick look shows I've only got $396 in my PokerStars account and it's $530 tonight for the $1m g'tee as it's the last Sunday of the month. So I log onto a couple of $1/2 NLHE cash tables to spin up enough for the buy-in. Fortunately I get some cards and am up to $550 by 8pm so close those down and concentrate on the Betfair £50k g'tee and Ladbroke's $90k g'tee.

There are 401 runners on Betfair for the £110 buy-in so a nice overlay with the guarantee. On Ladbrokes there are 419 runners in the $90k g'tee which is a $100 rebuy, so they'll probably get a little over the $90k.

Early on BF I complete with T8 in the SB after two limpers and get a flop of AT8, but everyone folds to a small raise. Then disaster strikes! I get KK in the cutoff, raise 5xbb after 3 limpers and get two callers, the BB and one limper. Flop comes 99J. I bet the pot (400), BB calls and the limper folds. What does he have? AJ seems most likely. Turn is a blank and I fire another 1,000 into the pot after he checks. He then re-raises me and I'm getting seriously worried that he has a 9 or JJ, but wouldn't he have re-raised pre-flop with JJ?. Still, pretty pot committed by now so it all goes in and he flips over 99 for flopped quads! Out in 395th. Note to self - that's the third time you've bet into quads like that, once in Atlantic City in the Trump, once in the Vic (to muzza7 - a nice bloke to lose money to!) and now on Betfair. Not suprisingly I've lost all 3 times...!

Time to focus on Ladbrokes! J7 in the BB and the flop comes T93. Everyone checks until the turn brings an 8. SB bets 120, I rasie to 360 and he pushes all-in. Well, if he's got KQ then at least this is a rebuy (no pre-flop raise so unlikely?) - I call but he has 56 so I double up.

Bit later KK UTG, one caller to my 4xBB raise. JQ6 flop and he flops to my pot-sized bet.

Level 3 (25/50 blinds) has just started and I have 3060 chips and am 98th out of 350. I raise to 200 with AT and get 1 caller. Q94 flop check, check. Turn 7 bet 400 call. River 6, check check and he has 55. Next hand QJ in the BB 2 limpers and SB calls. Flop AQ8 2 diamonds, UTG min bets and we all call. Turn a T all check. River 8 and I bet half the pot to make it look like I want a call. Everyone folds. Those two hands cost me 300 chips.

Then I get AJ in late position but UTG bets 253 (strange amount) and gets a caller so I leave it alone. 345 flop and UTG goes all-in with AK which gets called by 99 which holds up.

AK UTG tempted to limp but I put in a 3xBB raise which gets 3 callers. Q83 flop. I check and we all fold to a pot-sized bet. Down to 2485 chips (167 out of 334).

Going nowhere fast now - every time I limp with something like a small pair I have to lay it down to a big pre-flop raise. Rebuy period is ending so I guess people are trying to make moves. BB A8 flop ATT. All check. Turn 4 I bet 400 which takes it. I raise my SB to 200 and the BB folds - they are 50/100 now so worth fighting over. Bit later I call a min-raise in late position with 55 as do both blinds and the flop comes AK2...can't see me being ahead here! Fold to a bet.

I then get moved to a table with "squelch" who is one of the guys involved with bad beat and a good player. He's already on 7,500 chips but soon loses a pre-flop all-in with AQ vs 33 (which is how I went out of the PS $1m g'tee last week - who are these people who put their whole tournament on 33?!?).

I limp with AK in early position but everyone folds and on the KJ9 flop the BB folds to a small raise. It's now break time and I'm on 2610 chips, 188 out of 281 remaining so I take the add-on which puts me 157 th.

I'm also playing a couple of smaller tournaments - a $10 re-buy on laddies and a £10 short handed one on BetFair. Nothing much happening...

Fantastic bit of muffing by me in the $90k. Late position raise on my button and I have KJ. Now I know this got me into trouble in last Thursday's dreamteam tourney but I can't resist so I come over the top all in. He of course has KK. This time however I fluke a straight to double up. 60 out of 245, 6790 chips.

AT I raise 4xBB to 800. One caller flop J93. I make a $1k continuation bet and he folds. Next I get AK so raise to 800 again and take it without a fight. 7990.

The PS $1m g'tee is about to start and, since I can't type and play 4 games at the same time, these updates are going to get less frequent! There are 2089 runners and my first hand is KK on the button! Sadly my small raise just takes the blinds.

Quick update - out in 151 in the laddies $90k. Final hand I pushed when short stacked with 77 and was called by QT. Out of £10 BF in 36th (of 150) most of the damage coming from AK vs 77.
I think I used all my luck for the night up in that KJ vs KK muffing. I have lost 5 50:50s so far. Somehow losing with a medium pair is so much easier to take against AK that when someone calls with Q9 and you've got 88. Equally if you have AK it seems so much "fairer" to lose to QQ than to 22.

So that's buy-ins of around $1,000 and winnings of $0. Time to start hitting the cash tables again to build it back up for next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home