Thursday, May 25, 2006

Session 1 - Dreamteam

Thursday evening there's a poker league run by www.badbeat.com called Dream Team. It runs on Betfair at 7.30 pm with half the entry fee going towards a prizepool which is contested after 20 weeks. Each team gets points depending on finishing positions and those points translate into starting chips for the final.

Anyway, last week I came 145th out of 152 so need to do better...

Couple of hands in get AK and there's a small raise before me. I reraise to 200, the guy after me re-re-raises and the original raiser goes all-in. I fold as does the guy next to me. AA/KK vs AK vs AK or something horrible like that.

Another couple of hands which go no-where and I'm down to 1615 chips with the blinds now at 50/100.

Ah, AK on the small blind...let's see what happens here...

someone's gone all but I have them covered...now someone else has gone all-in over the top...cripes.

gotta call I suppose...or do I? Second guy coming over the top makes me think he's got AQ or AK so I'm calling...

First guy QQ, second guy AK. Looks like I'll be down to 615 chips. JT5 flop. 8 Turn. Q river - we split the pot with broadway and the poor guy with QQ is out. 2010 chips.

Network playing up tonight - have disco'ed about 7 times already. Most annoying.

Got the other team members up on MSN - we're all on different tables so no colluding, just good for the team spirit.

45 in BB, four limpers flop comes T44 and I disconnect. By the time I reconnect my hand has been folded. Grrrrrr.

Break time, I'm still at 2010.

I have a last longer bet each week with Ariston (he goes on and on apparantly!). $1 per difference in finishing position. Last week's 145th didn't help that particual bet but this week he's gone out in 124th so I should make it back.

KK in the cutoff, one limper so I make it 450 to go (blinds now 75/150). Blinds fold limper calls. Flop comes QQK, 2 clubs. He bets 300 I call. Turn a small club. He bets 600 I call. River a blank he bets 300 I go all-in for my last 660 he folds. Up to 3885.

Ooops. KQ in the SB and the button (meds) min-raises. I decide in my infinite wisdom that he has nothing and is at it so come over the top all-in. Of course he has AA. Down to 1225 chips.

Next hand KJ on the button so I raise to 450. SB calls, BB who is short stacked goes all-in, I call as does SB. Flop KT5. I go all-in and of course the SB has snuck in with AK!!! Out in 100th for 20 points.

About the best that can be said for that is it was better than last week.

What did I do wrong? Well, the obvious donkey play was the KQ all-in re-raise - risking 2500 chips to win 525 and probably dominated if he calls. Then again, would I do the same in similar circumstances...? Maybe just a 750 re-raise would accomplish the same.

Another team mate has just gone out in 91st but the rest are flying high in 6th, 13th, 40th and 51st.

Time to play some cash Omaha to "unwind"...


UPDATE

The finishing positions for the team were:

KIRSTEN - 100th (20 pts)
BFA74 - 43rd (300)
MRLAW1 - 91st (20)
BANKSOIR - 62nd (100)
ONLY1GAFF - 14th (800)
NEILO07 - 70th (100)

So as you can see I was the muppet for the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home