Thursday, June 01, 2006

Session 5 - $750 in 30 minutes

The thing about PLO is you've just got to take the rough with the smooth. In trying to build back the losses from Sunday I logged on for a quick game of PLO. I joined the waiting list for a $1/2 game which had some familiar faces in it and whilst waiting joined a $0.25/0.50 game.

I got pummelled in the smaller game - had to rebuy for $50 after about 6 hands when my flush and straight draw didn't hit against someone with bottom 2 pair. After that I drifted down to $20, back up to $55 and eventually quit when the $1/2 table had a slot around $70 down.

On the $1/2 I hit just about everything I went for. Strangely the 3 biggest hands were all nut diamond flush draws which took me from $200 to $530, then to $700, then to $960 in 10 minutes. It was crazy, in one hand there were 4 people all-in on the flop and I had the nut flush already (vs. top set, middle set, K flush).

Between those two tables I was $638 up. Then I joined a $0.50/1 PLO table on Betfair where the buy-in was $100. I quickly doubled up with 9TJQ which flopped straight vs. flopped set of kings and held up. A little later on the following hand came up where I feel I may have been over conservative but will never know:

Middle position called a $2 raise with AsQcQh9s. It's a nice enough hand but I'm not going to re-raise with 7 people (including the blinds) yet to act. Anyway, the flop comes AQ4 rainbow giving me middle set and someone bets the pot ($12). I re-raise which is called. Turn a blank and then he bets the pot ($50 ish). Now I sometimes limp with aces especially from early position so he could well have that, although I'm holding what would be the case ace which makes it a bit more unlikely. He could be on a straight draw I suppose in which case I should re-raise all-in now. If I just call then a pot sized bet on the river puts me all-in, so after some thought I fold. Yes it's unlikely he a set of aces but I've put less than $30 into the pot and do I really want to risk $200 to see if I'm right?

Anyway, I soon get the $30 back when I flop a set of kings and end that session $140 up, making it $780 up in around half an hour.

If only all sessions were like this....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home