Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Session 8 - $350 gone in 30 minutes

Ah well, I guess you can't always have winning sessions...

I logged into Littlewoods poker - this is the site I am keeping detailed records for on the Badbeat "Pot Check" page - for a quick NLHE session and sat down at a 6 handed $1/$2 table with $200. There was one very active player who would limp or small raise on 4 or 5 hands per round and then always bet the flop if he was first to act or checked to. Anyway, I pick up QJ soooted on the SB and call his raise to $6 with 2 others. Flop comes T95 - very nice. I check and he makes a small bet, which I call and everyone else folds. Turn is a K - bingo. I check again and he bets $20, I raise to $40, he re-raises to $60 and I push all-in. He calls with K9 for two pair. Now, I don't want this blog to become a bad-beat collection (for all sorts of reasons!) but this hand is relevant to what happened a bit later, and needless to say he hit another K on the river to take the pot.

I rebought for $200 and play continued for around 20 minutes with him playing the same limp/small raise and then betting the flop game, but now folding if I reraised or showed pre-flop strength. The key hand for this blog came when I picked up 99 and again he made a small raise which I decided just to call. The flop came an innocuous looking 884. I bet $10, he rasied to $20, I re-raised to $40, he pushed all-in. Now of course I am beaten. He has an 8 or an overpair, and since I have 9s his overpair will beat mine, but...I was still a bit miffed (AKA on tilt) about the suck out that I convinced myself he had to have A4 or something like that so I called.

At least I was half right - he flipped over 44 and I was drawing pretty thin to 4 outs which didn't come.

So, $400 down in not very long. I rebought and then left after 10 more minutes for a net loss of $350, half of which was bad luck and, more annoyingly, half of which was just bad play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home